Tuesday, July 24, 2012

The Raw Review 7/23/2012




WWE Raw 1000 7/23/2012
The Scottrade Center St. Louis, Missouri



The return of the DX Army. Oh you didn't know?



I didn't know what to expect with this. The last time DX was on television it was the watered down version that I was in no way a fan of. I grew up watching what I consider to be "The real DX". They were over the top, in your face, and could give two shits if you were offended. On the flip side, the 2006 version was bland and unfunny. The PG Era had stripped the group of everything that made them special. When only Triple H and Shawn Michaels came to the ring, I was ready to dump all over this segment.

So I was thrilled to see that Jeep drive into the arena carrying X-Pac and The New Age Outlaws. For one night only, The DX Army rode again. While they did do a slightly tamer version of their shtick, it was just so cool to see them all together again that I didn't care. Even not having Chyna out there didn't bother me. And I don't blame WWE for not calling up that train wreck to appear.

And then out comes Damien Sandow, and I think we all saw where this was heading. After talking down to the group, he proceeded to eat some Chin Music, followed by a Pedigree for good measure.

And if you're not down with that, I've two words for ya...

Sheamus, Rey Mysterio & Sin Cara vs Chris Jericho, Dolph Ziggler, & Alberto Del Rio

This was a pretty good first match. I was a little confused with Ziggler and Jericho being on the same team after Y2J dropped Dolph with a Codebreaker last week for talking shit about him, but it all came together in the end.

Finish: Sheamus misses a Brogue Kick and Jericho tries to springboard off the ropes only to get clocked in the face by Dolph Ziggler. Sheamus takes care of Ziggler and nails Jericho with the big kick to pick up the win for his team.

Winners: Sheamus, Rey Mysterio, and Sin Cara

Backstage with AJ and Layla
The only thing that came out of this was the appearance of Mae Young, and her son THE FUCKING HAND!!! Why in Gods name would they want to reference that storyline again? I know they're pulling out all the stops tonight, but talk about scraping the bottom of the barrel. I never want to see that shit again.

Brodus Clay vs Jack Swagger

The only thing of importance here was we saw the return of Dude Love. I was hoping that we would get all of Mick Foley's personalities throughout the night, but that never happened. As for the match itself, typical Clay squash match.

Finish: Big Splash. Fin.

Winner: Brodus Clay

Post Match: Swagger takes the Mandible Claw from Dude Love, followed by some dancing. Yay for us!!

Backstage with Triple H and Trish Stratus

This was a throwback to a storyline from 2000 where Hunter was caught by Stephanie McMahon teaching Trish how to apply a Hammer Lock. And it ended up looking like Hunter was "Hammering" something alright.


But this time we had Trish showing Hunter some yoga moves only to have DX walk in on them. Not nearly as funny as the original. Sounds like a theme with DX, huh?

The Wedding of AJ and Daniel Bryan

Who knew that Slick returning to perform the ceremony would be the best part of this? I know that wrestling weddings are always dumb, but in the end something big happens. This was no exception, but none of what went down was good.

So Vince McMahon offers the position of General Manager to AJ and she leaves Bryan at the alter. AJ as GM could be entertaining, but it could also get obnoxious really quick. I will reserve judgement until I see her in action. But the way they executed it here was ridiculous and out of place.

The Rock's "Major Announcement"

Daniel Bryan is still in the ring freaking out when out comes CM Punk to rub it in. Then out comes "The Great One" to join in on the fun.

The whole point of this was to let the world know that The Rock will face whoever is The WWE Champion at The Royal Rumble. I'm not really sure how I feel about that. On one hand we have our Main Event for the January Pay-Per-View set, but I don't want The Rock as Champion in 2013. WWE has been focusing on new young stars, and I feel it would be a step backwards to have him win the title. I know he could challenge for it and lose, but with how this show went off the air I don't know if that's the direction they will go in. But if an actor is going to win the belt, he would be my choice.

To end the segment The Rock nails Bryan with a Rock Bottom. Poor D-Bry, the guy cant catch a break tonight.

Intercontinental Title: Christian© vs The Miz

Bret Hart was the ring announcer for this match and was pretty terrible at it. But I was happy to see him involved in the show.

The match itself was pretty good, and was given almost 10 minutes which is almost unheard of now days.

Finish: They both escape each others finishers, Christian lands on his injured knee and Miz lays him out with The Skull Crushing Finale to win the IC title.

Winner and new IC Champion: The Miz©

Charlie Sheen SKYPE's in and mocks Daniel Bryan

More on this in a minute.

Brock Lesnar responds to Triple H's challenge

I would've played this differently. My idea involved Paul Heyman keeping Hunter distracted in the ring while backstage Lesnar takes out Shawn Michaels. I know Raw is in Texas coming up, so it could still happen.

Having Stephanie McMahon come out and goad Heyman into accepting the challenge on Lesnar's behalf was underwhelming. And having her smack Paul around isn't going to give this feud back it's heat. It picked up when Brock (FINALLY) came down to the ring to brawl with Hunter for a second, but I wanted more. 

No DQ/No Countout: Heath Slater vs Lita

I think we can all agree that this was not the payoff to the storyline that we wanted. Stone Cold not being involved in some way was a huge letdown, and I could think of a better opponent than Lita. But it was, what it was. And Heath Slater got beat up by a girl and a bunch of old people.

Finish: Lita hits Slater with The Twist of Fate followed by The Clothesline from Hell by Bradshaw Lita then hits a  Moonsault to pick up the win. .

Winner: Lita

Kane and The Undertaker reunite

It was awesome to see The Brothers of Destruction together again. Well at least until they break up and feud for the 27th time.

Charlie Sheen SKYPES back in and lays out a challenge to Bryan

So the rumor is that there will be some kind of Daniel Bryan/Charlie Sheen showdown at Summerslam. I don't really give a shit about seeing that, but it will bring in viewers I'm sure. And the worst part is that it will take Bryan out of any kind of serious feud for the next month. I know the original plan for Summerslam was to have  Heath Slater vs Flo Rida. I'm guessing that fell through. And lets be honest, a Bryan/Sheen match will be much a bigger attraction. We will have to wait and see if that is indeed their plan.

WWE Championship: CM Punk© vs John Cena

This wasn't anywhere near as good as their match last year at Money in the Bank, but I didn't think it would be. And it was all just a set up for what was to follow.

Finish: The Big Show comes in while the ref is down and takes out Cena. Punk uses this opportunity to try to win the match, only to get a two count. Punk then goes for the GTS, which Cena reverses and locks in the STF. Big Show comes back in and hits Cena to cause a DQ.

Winner: CM Punk©

Post Match: The Big Show continues to beat on Cena while Punk just watches on. Out comes The Rock as Punk goes to leave the ring. Rock takes out The Big Show and then goes for The People's Elbow when out of nowhere he is clotheslined by CM Punk. Punk then picks Rocky up and gives him The GTS.

This was awesome!!  Punk turning heel has me anticipating the rest of 2012. And it gives Punk a whole new list of challengers for The WWE Title, and storyline opportunities. I mean we can now safely assume that Punk will be The Champ going into The Royal Rumble to face The Rock who will be looking for revenge. And If it were up to me, I wouldn't have Punk drop the belt before then.

I can't wait to hear his explanation on Raw next week. Punk is getting his fire back, and I couldn't be happier.

No comments:

Post a Comment