Monday, June 25, 2012

Interview: "The Powerhouse Princess" Lylah Lodge


When did you decide you wanted to be a Pro Wrestler? 

I started training in 2005 when some friends of mine found Playboy Buddy Rose and Colonel DeBeers wrestling school in Portland OR. I just went to check it out and Buddy saw something in me even though I was a bigger girl. If it hadnt been for him I probably never would have had the guts to try.

Who were your favorites growing up?

When I was growing up I watched wrestling but it was my brother who knew who everyone was and really watched it. I never liked fighting or violence so my favorites were always the guys who did mostly comedy matches, but Macho Man Randy Savage reminded me of my dad a bit so he was always my favorite.

Was your family supportive of you becoming a wrestler?

For sure. My brother is a ref and my Dad worries about me getting hurt but he loves watching me wrestle and gets a kick out of watching his little girl become the Powerhouse Princess.

Where did you train and what was it like?

My training started in 2005 at Playboy Buddy Rose wrestling school in Portland OR and from there I trained with all the local guys and I got to train with Buddy Wayne and Davey Richards when he was still around. I have taken seminars from Lance Storm, Christopher Daniels, "Eugene" Nick Dinsmore, The Honky Tonk Man, Kevin Sullivan, Raven and Ive have most recently trained with Rowdy Roddy Piper.

How long have you been competing?

I am in my 5th year wrestling matches on shows.

What is it like being a female in a largely male driven profession?

It is hard but I seem to make it work pretty well. I wrestle guys a lot and I am accepted as one of the boys, so I have it ok now, but it was hard to get to this point and gain respect from the boys.


What was it like being on World of Hurt 2 with Roddy Piper?

It was amazing, I loved doing TV and Roddy was unlike anyone else I have ever met. We didnt get any time with him away from the cameras except when he kicked them out to talk to us alone once so Im not sure how much of that was the real him but he was very intense and can bring things out of you that you never knew you could get out. It was inspiring and emotional. I just wanted to make him proud of me.


I was told that you have had try outs with both WWE and TNA, what was your impression of both companies? And how do they compare?

I have been to three WWE try outs and each one was very different. The first was at OVW and I only got to try out and didnt get to work in front of WWE. The second time I tried out I went to High Velocity Wrestling in North Carolina. I was the only female and I had already been rejected from the camp but John Laurinitis was impressed with me and sent me an acceptance letter to the next camp. When I was at the camp I got hurt and it did not go well. I got nothing but bad remarks about my body in my evaluation so I havent tried back with WWE since. The TNA Gutcheck was fun and professionally run and I felt we got good advise and helpful critisism that we could learn from and grow with but again I am still not in good enough shape for what they are looking for. I just keep trying and hope for the best from either.

What is your favorite match that you have competed in so far, and why?

My favorite match so far is probably the match I did with Sammy Hall at the WOH live show. That match was very important to me because we were working for TV and for Roddy Piper and it went very well.

Who is your dream opponent?

Beth Pheonix


What is the toughest and/or easiest part about being a wrestler?

Toughest is recovery after an injury and the easiest (for me) is the theatrical part of it all.

Any funny/strange stories from your time in the business?

When I went to cut my promo for WWE at the camp, I bent down to get in the ring and Billy Kidman set off a really loud fart noise and everyone busted up laughing at me right before I had to cut my promo and on top of that Beth Pheonix (my hero) was watching me the whole time!


What do you think about the PG direction of the current WWE product?
I think they are getting away from it more now that they are trying to legitimize it more with Brock Lesnar coming back and bringing back blood and all that.


The business as a whole is down right now. What do you think needs to change to help it grow to where it was in the late 90's?

I think that if people saw wrestling as an athletic display or as I call it, theatrical combat, that more people could see if for the entertainment aspect of it rather than seeing it as violent or vulgar the way most people who arent wrestling fans seem to see it. Legitimizing wrestling seems to be what they are going to do but in my eyes that is a step backwards because originally wrestling was legit and people got hurt and couldnt do it anymore so we will see what happens.


Where do you see yourself in 5 years from now?

I have thought about that long and hard and I really dont know. It would take an act of god and plastic surgery to get my body to look like what WWE wants and I want to have kids before I get too old so I really cant tell you right now.

Any upcoming shows you would like to plug?

I am just wrestling locally right now so not really. I am looking to set up a trip to California this summer though so look for me in Nor Cal soon :)

No comments:

Post a Comment