Saturday, June 9, 2012

Interview: Stompin' Steve

There are more independent wrestlers in this country than we can possibly count. Each of 
them give of their bodies night in and night out, 
inside small venues to entertain the fans, and to improve enough to hopefully one day get 
noticed and take that next step towards fulfilling their dreams. 

Our interview series continues with current HPW Heavyweight Champion, Stompin' Steve.

1. When did you decide you wanted to be a Pro Wrestler?
I had thought about it many years ago when I was much younger. Danny Davis (Now of OVW) seemed impressed with my height (6'7" in boots) and size back when I met him at a show several years back. I had a lot of things come up in my life and a lot of issues to deal with. But 3 years ago I decided it was time to go for it, I was getting myself in better shape and thought it was "Now or never".


3. Who were your favorite wrestlers growing up?
Hulk Hogan, Big Boss Man, Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake, Undertaker.

3. Was your family supportive of you becoming a wrestler?
They were somewhat indifferent. Most of them don't really care for the business, quite honestly. 

4. Where did you train and what was it like?
I trained mostly under Cousin Cooter and Damian Cole. My first training session was simple, yet I was in so much pain for many days afterwards, I didn't know if I could come back or it was really the thing for me at the time. But I did, of course.

5. How long have you been competing?
I've been wrestling for 15 months now.

6. Have you gotten to meet many big names since you started? And if so, what was your impression of them?
Former 3-time WWE Tag Champ "Ironman" Rob Conway is one of nicest people in the business. I was very impressed by his willingness to help others. 

7. What is your favorite match that you have competed in so far, and why?
The mixed tag team match where I was privileged to win the HOOSIER PRO WRESTLING Heavyweight Championship with my tag team partner, The Lovely Lylah Lodge when we went up against the highly skilled team Damian Cole & Camron Star. I believe I will always remember that at the highest degree that I can.


8. Who is your dream opponent?
That would be to tough to say. So many I would like work with.

9. What is the toughest and/or easiest part about being a wrestler?
The training I believe to be tougher than an actual match. The crowd gives seems to give you an extra adrenaline rush. The crowds seem to make things easier. They also make it all worth it, of course.

10. Any funny/strange stories from your time in the business? 
Nothing to note that I can think of yet. I was shocked that I got a gushing bloody nose in my very first singles match.

11. What do you think about the PG direction of the current WWE product?
I am of the opinion that PG is not the problem. Lack of compelling shows is the problem. You can get those being PG, it's been done before.

12. The business as a whole is down right now.  What do you think needs to change to help it grow to where it was in the late 90's?
Personally, I think there is too much wrestling on TV right now. Too many matches are not to be looked forward to because they have been seen multiple times on free TV over the last while. Most of the time there is little or no build up as there once was. When WWF and WCW were competing in the 90s there was also a lot of wrestling on TV, but they kept each other on their toes, they had to put out decent product to keep up with the other guy. Now there is little competition.


13. Where do you see yourself in 5 years from now?
Hopefully continuing to improve in wrestling.

14. Any upcoming shows you would like to plug?
HPW is having their annual Food Raiser for Love Chapel at the Columbus, Indiana JD Byrider parking lot. The event is at 6pm on June 30th. Admission is 6 cans of food. I will be taking on Damian Cole.


I would like to plug HPW's (Hoosier Pro Wrestling) facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/HOOSIERPROWRESTLING

And my own personal facebook at http://www.facebook.com/stompinsteve



No comments:

Post a Comment