Thursday, February 2, 2012

Q&A with NWA Hollywood's Christian Cole

Going from the East Coast to the West, I had the opportunity to interview NWA Hollywood's very own Christian(Xtian) Cole and decided to find out a little about how life as a manager is in the world of wrestling. I have always been a huge fan of a good manager, whether they want us to hate or love them a good manager needs to do one thing and that is to get us care about the guy they're managing. Managers are like seasoning on a steak. Sure, an unseasoned steak will fill you up, but with the right seasoning you're gonna remember that steak. Mmmmmm steak..Anyhow, I hope you enjoy the interview, I know I did.



PTC: Give us a little back story on who you are, where you have been, who trained you, and how long you have been doing this.
CC: Christian Cole, trained by David Heath (Gangrel) and JR Fatu. Started training in Jan of 2009.

PTC: At what age did you decide you wanted to be involved with the business of professional wrestling?
CC: I was 9 years old. I was taken backstage by a friend of the family the was also a WWE chiropractor. I met Paul Bearer, Undertaker, and Ultimate Warrior. I knew then.


PTC: What wrestler/moment made you want to be a a part of professional wrestling?
CC: When I realized that they were all just performers and characters for the entertainment of a live/tv audience. I knew.


PTC: What is the toughest part of being a part of professional wrestling?


CC: The long distances and having to use public bathrooms.


PTC: What is the easiest part about being a a part of professional wrestling?
CC: There's nothing easy about it.


PTC: What did your parents/family say when you told them you were going to earn a living through the world of professional wrestling? Are they supportive now? 
CC: My family has always supported me. They continue to do so in all of my choices in life. Without my family I wouldn't be able to pursue a career in pro wrestilng and I owe them a debt of gratitude.

PTC: What is the weirdest thing you have dealt with, in and out of the ring, and how did you deal with it?
CC: A Grown man asking me to sign his shoulder in Santa Maria Ca. Need I say more?

PTC: Who is the nicest veteran you have ever met?
CC: Chris Jericho without a doubt. Chris and I have become good friends and he is as genuine a human being as you'll meet in this world.

PTC: Who was the biggest asshole veteran or rookie you have dealt with? 
CC: Hands down Brian Kendrick. He was such a primadonna and so full of himself. He was hired to come in and work for the IWL here in LA and decided to bury the champion, the promotion, and himself. Like a child having a tantrum in the ring, with a mic in his hand.

PTC: How did you decide to be a manager? I personally love managers and think it is a lost art, but was there a time when you started out was it, "I'm gonna be a wrestler!", and then you realized you were a better fit as a mouth piece to draw heat for guys who can't do a certain thing well?
CC: That's exactly what happened. I enjoy getting heat from the crowd and helping guys accel their careers that are held back by their inability to talk.

PTC: Why do you think WWE and TNA, and I guess you could say most of wrestling has moved away from letting guys who aren't the best promos have a manager talk for them? 
CC: No clue, but Vickie Guerrero and Ricardo Rodriguez are changing that.

PTC: Who, besides yourself, is the best manager in the history of the business?
CC: Bobby Heenan. It could be said that Heenan was one of the best talkers period.

PTC:Who is your dream match?
CC: Ultimate Warrior vs The Rock

PTC: What wrestler, independent and/or with WWE, TNA do you think would benefit from your managerial services?
CC: Probably Mason Ryan. He has a great look but is being booked wrong and can't speak to save his life. I think I could get him over as a legit beast and a threat to the WWE title.

PTC: The indy scene is getting bigger and bigger, where do you see it 3 years from now?
CC: I disagree. The indy scene is dying. In 3 years it will likely be worse off than it is now. This is due to greedy promoters and "wrestlers" who aren't ready to work yet being booked in matches.

PTC: Business is down, certain fans think wrestling isn't what it used to be, do you think it needs fixing, and how would you fix it?
CC: It doesn't need 'fixing'. Wrestling is cyclical. Right now we're back in 1983, but 1999 will happen again. Maybe not until 2019 but it'll happen.

PTC: Where do you see yourself 3 years from now?
CC: In the WWE working my tail off to make a name for myself.

PTC: Who is your favorite wrestler to manage so far?
CC: Eric Watts of WWE tough enough fame. He and I are close in real life so our chemistry working matches together is very apparent.


PTC: If you had a choice of what era of wrestling you could be a part of which one and why?
CC: If I could be part of any era it would be 1991. There was a 'bigger than life' 'superhero' presentation then, it was my favorite era by far.


PTC: Plugs, appearances, bookings?
CC: @XtianCole twitter
FB: C3 Charismatic Christian Cole
EWF: This Friday Feb 3 in Covina Ca
NWA Hollywood live taping Feb 12 in Glendale
NWA Hollywood TV episodes air every Saturday night KDOC-TV

No comments:

Post a Comment